Scott has substantial experience in real estate and business matters, winery law, winery use permits, land use and development matters, water law, commercial leasing, commercial and development financing, succession planning, environmental mitigation banking and conservation matters, environmental and title issues. He represents companies, investors, commercial and light industrial developers, wineries of all sizes, hoteliers, pension investment groups, hospitals and farmers regarding their business, real estate, land use and financing needs, including counsel for the strategic real estate investment program for a national insurance company.
Scott has considerable expertise with real estate leasing, acquisitions, finance, development, and joint ventures. He also forms limited liability companies, corporations and other business entities, and handles related corporate matters, including business acquisition, financing, disposition and dissolution. Scott represents applicants on entitlement and use permit processing matters and has particular expertise in winery use permitting, mixed-use, commercial and industrial development.
His extensive experience includes a wide array of water issues, including water rights, water transfers, water supplies analysis, water quality issues, and protection of water rights, acquisition and banking of water supplies, environmental compliance and the representation of private and public water entities. Scott also negotiates agreements for the purchase and sale of water rights and contractual water entitlements. In addition to evaluating water rights in real property acquisitions, he negotiates water transfers, water sharing agreements and recycled water supply agreements.
Scott’s recent matters include:
- Counsel for the sale of the NapaTownCenter and adjacent buildings
- Environmental and land use counsel for the purchase of a wetlands impacted site for over 200,000 sq. ft. of warehouse development in Napa County.
- Counsel for the financial restructuring of an over $65,000,000 commercial loan guarantor.
- Counsel for investors of over $20,000,000 for commercial redevelopment in downtown Napa.
- Counsel for a major condominium/hotel development in downtown Napa.
- Counsel for the sale of over $9,000,000 of wine brands.
- Counsel for brand acquisitions and development in Chile, France and Oregon.
- Negotiation and counsel for a winery of long-term ground lease to facilitate development of new winery.
- Counsel for a several new Silverado Trail winery construction contracts.
Scott and his wife Gina enjoy tennis, golf, art, hiking with their dogs Rex and Mack, as well as Stanford basketball and football games.
- J.D., Willamette University College of Law (1994)
- B.A. in Political Science, Stanford University (1989)
Writings and Presentations
- Co-Chair, “The Business of Wine” by The Seminar Group, Hampton Inn & Suites Napa November 16, 2017
- Speaker and Co-Host, Winery Definition Ordinance Seminar by The Seminar Group 2016
- North Bay Business Journal article/ads
- Speaker, “Regulatory Water Matters”, DP&F Wine Industry Forum
August 23, 2013
- Guest speaker, “Business Entities”, Sonoma State University EMBA
June 29, 2013
- Speaker, “Winery Purchase and Sale Complexities”, Winery Purchase and Sales Seminar by The Seminar Group
November 8, 2011
Community and Associations
- Member of the Business, Real Property and Environmental Law Sections of the State Bar Association
- Member of the Executive Steering Committee of the Agribusiness Subsection
- Member of Stanford Professionals in Real Estate
- Board member of the Stanford Athletic Department Buck-Cardinal Club View Webpage
- Founding board member of the Amy Biehl Foundation View Foundation
- Member of the Suisun Valley Vintners and Growers Association
- Member of the Napa County Farm Bureau’s Natural Resources Committee advising on water law matters