Bahaneh Hobel is a Partner in the firm’s Alcohol Beverage and Wine Law groups. Bahaneh’s practice focuses exclusively on all aspects of alcohol beverage law and regulation for wineries, breweries, distilled spirits plants, importers, wholesalers and retailers. Bahaneh’s areas of expertise include state and federal licensing, tied house laws, state and federal labeling regulations and approvals, changes in control and winery/brewery/distillery sales, franchise laws, distribution agreements, winemaker agreements, trade practices including advertising, sponsorships and special events, celebrity brands, festivals, third party marketing, contests and sweepstakes and direct shipping laws.
Bahaneh represents both domestic and international alcohol beverage industry members and works extensively with, and represents clients in front of, local, state and federal alcoholic beverage agencies throughout the United States, including the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control and the Alcohol & Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.
Bahaneh has practiced in the alcohol beverage field for the past decade. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa and Magna Cum Laude from Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia in 1997 with a degree in Political Science. Bahaneh worked for the United States Solicitor General in Washington D.C. before attending Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California, Berkeley, where she served as Projects Editor on the California Law Review. After receiving her law degree in 2001 from Boalt, Bahaneh served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard C. Tallman on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and then practiced litigation and transactional law at several established law firms including O’Melveny & Myers LLP.
In 2015, Bahaneh was named as one of the Forty Under 40 by the North Bay Business Journal.
Bahaneh and her husband also produce their own wine, Hobel, named as one of “8 Impressive New Faces from California” by Wine Spectator.
- J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley, (2001)
- B.A., Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia (Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude, 1997)
- “The Who, What, and Where of Alcohol Sponsorships, Events and Tastings” ShipCompliant Blog, Guest Post, June 2015 – View Article
- “Wine Law Refresher”, Napa Valley Vintners June 2014
- “5 Key Points You Must Cover in Your Distribution Agreements”
January 2014 – View Article
- “New Licensing for DTC Wine Sales in California“, Practical Winery & Vineyard
Spring 2012 – View Article
- “Important Legal Changes for Wine, Alcohol in 2012″, North Bay Business Journal (co-author)
November 2011 – View Article
- “Know Your ABCs”, Panelist, California Craft Brewers Association Annual Conference, November 2016
- “Events, Sponsorships & Festivals”, CEB Wine Law Forum, Santa Barbara, November 2016
- “Centennials, Millennials and Baby Boomers…Oh My! Technology is changing everything! Are You Prepared?”, NCSLA Annual Conference, Chicago, June 2016
- “Events and Sponsorships” – ShipCompliant Direct Conference, San Francisco, June 2016
- “Millennials: Their Time Has Come” – NCSLA Central/Western Regional Conference, Seattle, September 2015
- “Philosophies of Regulation: Who can Sell Wine & How”, Organisation International de la Vigne et du Vin (OIV), UC Davis, July 2015
- “Everything You Need to Know About Winery Sponsorships, Events and Tastings”, 2015 Ship Compliant Direct Conference, May 2015
- 2015 Sonoma County Beer, Cider and Spirits Conference – Regulations Panelist, February 2015
- “Wine Law Basic”, CalCPA Wine Industry Conference December 2014 View Presentation
- “Wine Law Workshop”, Livermore Valley Winegrowers Association, October 2014
- “Wine Law Workshop”, Napa Valley Vintners, June 2014
- California State Bar
- Napa County Bar Association
- Wine Institute Public Policy Committee
- California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control Licensing Working Group
- Napa Valley Vintners
- Wine Institute, Public Policy Committee
- Sonoma County Vintners Board of Directors
- National Conference of State Liquor Administrators
- Craft Beverage Lawyers Guild