Earthquake-Related Info from ABC & TTB

Both the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (“ABC”) and the Department of Treasury’s Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (“TTB”) have made information available on their websites for alcohol beverage businesses (including producers, wholesalers, and retailers) seeking earthquake related information.  Here are links to those bulletins:

ABC’s Earthquake-Related Information for ABC Licensees 

TTB’s Napa Earthquake Frequently Asked Questions

Some of the highlights:


  • Under the ABC Act, any producer or wholesaler whose premises have been destroyed by an “act of God” may carry on its business for up to six months at a location within 500 feet of the licensed premises.  A representative from the Governor’s office has stated that if a demand is identified, the 500-foot limitation may also be waived.
  • There is no fee for transferring a license from one premise to another if the originally licensed premise was destroyed by an“act of God” and the new premise is located in the same county.  Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Sec. 24082.
  • Over the next three months, alcohol beverage suppliers (producers and wholesalers, or any officer or agent of such businesses) may give, lend, or sell equipment, fixtures, or supplies other than alcohol beverages to any retailer that has suffered losses or damages as a result of the earthquake. This exception to tied house law is found in Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Sec. 25511


  • Although typically businesses must report any casualty loss immediately to TTB, TTB has relaxed that rule, but is encouraging business to report losses “as soon as they are able to determine the extent of the damage to their inventories.”
  • Alcohol Beverage retailers, wholesalers, importers and producers may eligible for a refund of the federal excise taxes paid on lost alcohol beverage products.  For more information go to When Disaster Strikes.  http://www.ttb.gov/public_info/120068_disaster2005.shtml
  • TTB will consider waiving late filing, payment or deposit penalties for those that have been directly affected by the earthquake.